AAEE Better World Book Club
Environmental Education Reading!
We want you to join us in participating in our reading community to learn more about environmental education.
Anyone can join the FB Group!
- Starting October 1, 2019 the Arizona Association for Environmental Education will be selecting one book each month from a reading list geared towards children ages 6-12.
- This virtual Facebook Group Book Club is hosted by the AAEE with support from Maricopa County Library District. The reading list contains fiction, non-fiction, and other genres aimed to help educate children and adults about the 17 principles of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The SDGs are a plan to build a better world for people and our planet by 2030.
SDGs are a blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. These goals recognize that ending poverty and other deprivations must go hand-in-hand with strategies that improve health, education, reduce inequality, and spur economic growth–all while tackling climate change and working to preserve our oceans and forests.
What are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals?
Visit the UN Website for more information.
Fun actions that you can take beyond just reading the books.
- Help your kids to create a poster with a photo or drawing and interesting facts about their favorite character(s) of the book.
- Design a reading scavenger hunt for kids using drawings and pictures instead of questions and help them search for things mentioned in the book.
- Help your kids write a letter to the local government representative and tell them what you learned in the book and ask them what action(s) they are taking toward a specific Goal.
- Organize a parent-child facilitated book discussion for younger kids. Invite your child’s friends and their parents to discuss a book from the reading list at your local library or children’s book store.
Where Do I Find My Book?
October, 2019 SDG #1 No Poverty Book:
Visit Maricopa County Library District Website.