Conferences & Events for Early Childhood Environmental Education
Websites for Early Childhood Environmental Education
- NAAEE ECE Guidelines for Excellence
- The Guidelines for Excellence contains a set of recommendations for developing and administering high-quality environmental education programs for young children from birth to age eight, with a focus on ages three to six. These guidelines provide a tool that can be used to ensure a firm foundation for new programs or to trigger improvements in existing ones.
- Download the Guidelines for free here:
- Natural Start Alliance
- The Natural Start Alliance is a network of organizations, educators, and parents committed to connecting young children to nature and the environment through education. They provide educational resources for infants, toddlers and preschoolers which is rooted in play and inquiry.
- The Natural Start Alliance also has a strong focus on Nature-Based Pre-Schools.
- For an excellent database of ECEE related items, check out their resources page: http://naturalstart.org/resources
- Children and Nature Network (CNN)
- After the publication of “Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder” in 2005, author Richard Louv and others co-founded the Children & Nature Network, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to fuel the worldwide grassroots movement to reconnect children with nature. The Children & Nature Network is leading the movement to connect all children, their families and communities to nature through innovative ideas, evidence-based resources and tools, broad-based collaboration and support of grassroots leadership.
- For an amazing collection of free toolkits, reports, infographics and advocacy tools check out their resources page: http://www.childrenandnature.org/learn/tools-resources/
- Cities Connecting Children to Nature (CCCN)
- Cities Connecting Children to Nature, an initiative of the National League of Cities, helps city leaders and their partners ensure that all children have the opportunity to play, learn and grow in nature, from urban parks and community gardens to the great outdoors. This is a great administrative and municipal resource for supporting ECEE in your community.
- International Journal of Early Childhood Environmental Education
- The International Journal of Early Childhood Environmental Education is a peer-reviewed open-access electronic journal promoting early childhood environmental education for global readership and action.
- Nature Explore
- Working with advocates like you, Nature Explore transforms children’s lives through research-based outdoor classroom design services, educator workshops, and natural products. A Collaborative Program of Arbor Day Foundation and Dimensions Educational Research Foundation.
- NAAEE Early Childhood EEPro
- Join the NAAEE Early Childhood EEPro group for access to Virtual Conferences, Resources, Discussion Forums, and other news in this field
- Center for Early Childhood Nature and Place-based Education (NPECE Center)
- Prescott College’s NPECE Center hosts an annual Summer Institute on ECEE and Nature and Place-based pedagogies for ECE students, teachers, and administrators, awarding participants with a certificate. They also offer a brand-new ECE degree & certification pathway that emphasizes nature and place-based approaches.
- For more information or resources on Nature and Place-based learning in ECE, please contact email@example.com.
Curriculum Materials & Trainings for Early Childhood Environmental Education
Inspiring Literary Resources & Publications
- Stone, Michael K. and Barlow, Zenobia, Eds. (2005) Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World.
- Louv, Richard (2008) Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder
- Hanscom, A. and Louv, R. (2016) Balanced and Barefoot: How Unrestricted Outdoor Play Makes for Strong, Confident, and Capable Children
- Knight, S. (2013) Forest School and Outdoor Learning in the Early Years
- Sobel, David. (1998) Mapmaking with Children: Sense of Place Education for the Elementary Years.
- Sobel, David. (2004) Place-Based Education: Connecting Classrooms and Communities, Second Edition.
- Leslie, Clare Walker. (1999) Into The Field: A Guide to Locally Focused Teaching
- Cobb, E. (1977) The Ecology of Imagination in Childhood.
- Citro, A. (2016) A Little Bit of Dirt: 55+ Science and Art Activities to Reconnect Children with Nature
- Petrash, C and Cook, D. (1992) Earthways: Simple Environmental Activities for Young Children
- Kenny, E. (2013) Forest Kindergartens: The Cedarsong Way
- Selly, Patty Born. (2012) Early Childhood Activities for a Greener Earth
- Sobel, D. and Baille, P. (2015) Nature Pre-schools and Forest Kindergartens: The Handbook for Outdoor Learning
- Larimore, Rachel A. (2011) Establishing a Nature-based Pre-school
- Winograd, Ken. (2016) Education in Times of Environmental Crises: Teaching Children to Be Agents of Change
- Sobel, David. (2008) Childhood and Nature: Design Principles for Educators
- Sobel, David. (1996) Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education
- Louv, Richard. (2016) Vitamin N: The Essential Guide to a Nature-Rich Life
- Wilson, Ruth. (2012) Nature and Young Children: Encouraging Creative Play and Learning in Natural Environments
- Chalufour, I and Worth, K. (2003) Discovering Nature with Young Children: Part of the Young Scientist Series
- Sampson, Scott. (2016) How to Raise a Wild Child: The Art and Science of Falling in Love with Nature
- Houghton, P and Worroll, J. (2016) Play The Forest School Way: Woodland Games and Crafts for Adventurous Kids
- Constable, Karen. (2015) The Outdoor Classroom in Practice, Ages 3–7: A month-by-month guide to forest school provision
- Honig, Alice. (2015) Experiencing Nature with Young Children: Awakening Delight, Curiosity, and a Sense of Stewardship
- Meier, D. and Sisk-Hilton, S. (2015) Nature Education with Young Children: Integrating Inquiry and Practice
- Wilson, Ruth. (2016) Learning in Bloom: Cultivating Outdoor Explorations
- Pelo, Ann. (2013) The Goodness of Rain: Developing Ecological Literacy in Young Children
- Rosenow, Nancy. (2012) Heart-Centered Teaching Inspired by Nature
- Nelson, Eric. (2012) Cultivating Outdoor Classrooms: Designing and Implementing Child-Centered Learning Environments
- Selly, Patty. (2012) Early Childhood Activities for a Greener Earth
- Banning, Wendy. (2010) Lens on Outdoor Learning
- Cross, Aerial. (2011) Nature Sparks: Connecting Children’s Learning to the Natural World
- Keeler, Rusty. (2016) Seasons of Play: Natural Environments of Wonder
The resources and organizations provided within this website are not comprehensive of the resources and organizations related to environmental education available throughout Arizona.
Resources and organizations are continually being added.