Summer Institute 2019
Join us this summer for 5 days of inspiring and hands-on professional development in beautiful Prescott, Arizona on the Prescott College campus*. Collaborate with a passionate and diverse group of ECE educators (birth-age 8) from all over the country, at the annual early childhood educator Nature & Place-Based Summer Institute.
The Summer Institute fee includes materials and resources, four nights of lodging on campus, and two to three meals a day. Enrollment is limited and a non-refundable fee of $100 is required to hold your place. As a part of the enrollment process, each participant will be asked to identify a nature- and place-based project they can develop during and after the Summer Institute with the assistance of a mentor.
This year’s Summer Institute participants will discover:
- What nature- and place-based early childhood education is and why
it’s such a hot topic in ECE today.
- Ways to align their current teaching practices with the pedagogy
of nature- and place-based learning.
- How to plan nature- and place-based experiences for young children
that are developmentally and culturally appropriate, inclusive, and linked to
early learning standards.
- Current advocacy efforts for increasing inclusive and equitable
access by all children to nature- and place-based learning.
- Potential community resources and partnerships for increasing
inclusive and equitable access to natural environments for children and
- Year-long project development support from a Summer Institute Mentor
- Valuable resources and user-friendly materials to support integrating nature and place-based activities in your own program
- Nature and Place-based Early Childhood Education Certificate
- Professional development hours
Past Participant Feedback:
“This Institute exceeded my expectations! The presenters, workshop material and
community support has built a confidence and inspiration in me that I was craving so
very much when I arrived. Thank you!”
“My experience at Summer Institute went far beyond my expectations. I not only learned
lots of new activities, it made me look within to pull out my strengths and passions. An
Sliding scale fee:
|Price A**||Price B||Price C|
Why three prices for the same experience?
We offer a voluntary, three-tiered pricing program based on your needs:
Price A** – the lowest cost, subsidized by donors
Price B – partially sponsored by contributors
Price C – represents the actual cost of Summer Institute operations
The Summer Institute is offered annually by the Prescott College Center for Nature and Place-based Early Childhood Education with the generous support of the George B. Storer Foundation.
* Several local, off-site childcare options are available. Please contact us for details.
**We believe every educator should have the opportunity to attend professional development experiences such as this one. Please contact us if you need further scholarship assistance.