Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Laura Manson
      Participant

Hello
      I am new to all of this, especially the Environmental Education component. I believe it is important and I am looking for resources for Early Childhood concepts. I am also open to visiting ECE programs in person ( in southern California) or reviewing their website- that have merged these concepts

Laura

Bwheeler
      Participant

I used to teach early education head start and I found much success with nature-based activities with my students. By introducing nature-based lessons, my students were able to connect with nature and build the environmental skills they need later on in life. This was extremely helpful when they entered Kindergarten with an established relationship with earth sciences. NAEE provides some great resources for early education, but I used Project Learning Tree curriculum guide for many of my classrooms. I truly appreciate how the lessons are structured to build on the students relationship with the environment by creating personal connections using their senses, communities, and family. I would highly recommend Project Learning tree’s curriculum as a starter for head start environmental education.

Melissa Mundt
      Participant

Hi there,
      I wanted to offer, the Natural Learning Initiative as a resource. I’m working through their professional development course for Designers, but they also offer one for Early Childhood Educators. There great examples of and research on the components that make up quality outdoor learning environments and how to incorporate those into your facilities. Quality outdoor environments provide a great setting for curriculum and activities, but also for unstructured play and exploration which is so important for early learners.
      Thanks!

Toni McGinn
      Participant

Here is a PDF I found interesting for early childhood environmental education.

https://cdn.naaee.org/sites/default/files/final_ecee_guidelines_from_chromographics_lo_res.pdf

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.