Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Shawn McCrohan
      Participant

New curriculum for science educators: teach science standards through the lens of the food that we eat

The Effects of Climate Change on Agricultural Systems
      The USDA Southwest Climate Hub and Asombro Institute for Science Education have partnered to develop a new free curriculum unit to investigate the effects of climate change on agriculture in the Southwest. The unit is appropriate for 6-12th grade students in formal and informal education settings and consists of five hands-on activities that are aligned with Next Generation Science Standards and Common Core State Standards.

Available free online:
      https://swclimatehub.info/education/climate-change-and-agriculture
      To access the materials, we simply ask educators to create a free, quick, and easy account with very basic information for internal tracking purposes.

The unit consists of five fun, engaging activities: two experiments, two games, and a gallery walk. Activities require minimal, non-specialized supplies. Each activity can be done individually, or all five can be conducted as a week-long unit.

Please help spread the word and share this free resource with colleagues!

Contact us with questions or for more information:
      Asombro Institute for Science Education
      575-524-3334
      s.haan-amato@asombro.org

Amber Gore
      Participant

Hello Shawn,
      I think this is a great to connect kids to nature through the food that they eat. And how cool that kids will also come away with a better understanding of where their food comes from. I like that the activities offered can be done together or alone. I did not know that the USDA offered free programming resources on their website. The curriculum on climate change and the water cycle looks fascinating too. I want to check that one out because I work next to a lake, and I bet I can integrate it into our programming.

Have you utilized the Effects of Climate Change on Agricultural Systems with students or visitors?

Toni McGinn
      Participant

I also think this a great tool. We are discussing climate change in our classes and will look more into this tool. It will be interesting to look at the effect on Agricultural Systems. Thanks fro sharing!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.