As one of the 56 Affiliates within the Affiliate Network of the North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE), the Arizona Association for Environmental Education (AAEE) supports formal and informal educators providing programming and content to a wide variety of citizens of all ages.
As an Affiliate of NAAEE, we host a variety of networking and professional learning opportunities in state, as well as collaborate with other NAAEE Affiliates to host events at the annual NAAEE conference as well as webinars, online discussions, and blogs. AAEE strives to provide professional development opportunities, such as the Environmental Education Certification Program, across the state of Arizona.
What do we do?
We strive to meet Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in all aspects of the programs we provide and organizations we support.
We offer guidance and training in best practices for EE. Specific best practices are available for early childhood educators, K-12 educators, and non-formal educators.These Best Practices were developed and distributed by North American Association for Environmental Education.
Promote the elements of sound EE materials.
Key Characteristic #1 : Fairness and accuracy
Key Characteristic #2: Depth of content
Key Characteristic #3: Emphasis on skills building
Key Characteristic #4: Action orientation
Key Characteristic #5: Instructional soundness
Key Characteristic #6: Usability and replicatable
Our Core Values
- Utilizing best practices in environmental education will help Arizona to achieve environmental literacy.
- Education practices should include the environment as an integrating context as well as an emphasis on critical thinking skills.
- The content and methods used in high-quality Environmental Education should be based upon peer-reviewed research in science, education, and psychology.
- AAEE supports and facilitates opportunities that promote the continuation of environmental education.
- All activities will be conducted in a manner that minimizes the negative impact on the environment through efficient use of resources.
- All practices should encourage environmental, economic and social responsibility.
- All environmental education should consider the contributions, worldviews, opinions, and perspectives on environmental issues of everyone connected to the content being explored.
- AAEE supports only culturally responsive environmental education.
- AAEE promotes an inclusive organizational culture.
- It takes the participation of every individual to develop the most environmentally literate society.
- Collaboration maximizes efforts and leads to more effective programs.